16 March 2008

Enjoy Heaven, Larry!

COVER OF THE VINYL ALBUM THAT INSPIRED THIS BLOG'S TITLE

I am really sad tonight having just disovered that Larry Norman died a couple of weeks back. He was instrumental in my coming to faith, and his live concert at Smithfields in the old Salisbury Showgrounds in 1972 is still very much in my memory. I have always loved his music, and in a way he has had a profound impact on my spiritual life. The following note is currently appearing on his website:

Larry Norman
4/8/1947 - 2/24/2008

Our friend and my wonderful brother Larry passed away at 2:45 Sunday morning. My wife Kristin and I were with him, holding his hands and sitting in bed with him when his heart finally slowed to a stop. We spent this past week laughing, singing, and praying with him, and all the while he had us taking notes on new song ideas and instructions on how to continue his ministry and art ... Saturday afternoon he knew he was going to go home to God very soon and he dictated the following message to you while his friend Allen Fleming typed these words into Larry's computer:

I feel like a prize in a box of cracker jacks with God's hand reaching down to pick me up. I have been under medical care for months. My wounds are getting bigger. I have trouble breathing. I am ready to fly home.

My brother Charles is right, I won't be here much longer. I can't do anything about it. My heart is too weak. I want to say goodbye to everyone. In the past you have generously supported me with prayer and finance and we will probably still need financial help.

My plan is to be buried in a simple pine box with some flowers inside. But still it will be costly because of funeral arrangement, transportation to the gravesite, entombment, coordination, legal papers etc. However money is not really what I need, I want to say I love you.

I'd like to push back the darkness with my bravest effort. There will be a funeral posted here on the website, in case some of you want to attend. We are not sure of the date when I will die. Goodbye, farewell, we will meet again.

Goodbye, farewell, we'll meet again
Somewhere beyond the sky.
I pray that you will stay with God
Goodbye, my friends, goodbye.

Larry


Want to find out why I thought so much about Larry Norman?

His Wikipedia entry or more in a Google News Search Here



No comments: