8 October 2005

Podcasting in Zimbabwe



Outside our little rondavel room at the historic Lion & Elephant motel. Some serious podcasting intent here. It was 7.25 AM, location: on the bank of a dry and sandy Bubye River, which is about 80 kilometres into Zimbabwe from the border at Beit Bridge on the Limpopo River.

It was already hot, so the sun-screen cream was already on. I was experimenting with using the internal and external mics on the new iRiver 799 (the one with the black cord attached) and had also been listening Todd Cochrane's Geek News Central podcast with the iPod. Unfortunately the one great recording that captured 'the sounds of nature' I must have left on my mom's PC in Harare, so will have to retrieve it when I am back there in a few weeks time.

The only radio station I could pick up on AM was the Voice of America (nothing on FM except my iPod of course). Out of interest, just off picture to the left were a few giraffe. Behind me was a huge dog with lots of scars that I later learned had been in a prize fight with rather a large baboon, and subsequently all baboons had been keeping a distance from the hotel grounds.
Photo by MDT

No comments: